BSA 20Mile Hike
BSA's 20mile Hike
We did it, and I am sooo very proud of our boys for completing this 20 mile hike. We created some great hikers, and sadly scared some away. But, I am hoping they will come back once they have recovered.
I definitely learned alot as a BSA Hiking Merit Badge counselor, and see where I would've done things different. I grew alot as a person in this adventure, and I hope I get to do it again.
![]() |
| at the start of the trail |
Here's the summary of our hike:
Details
Distance: 20.8 miles
Elevation Gain: 2178ft
Location: Mt Hood National Forest - Hood River Ranger District
Attendance: Boy Scout Hike - Darrin, Vicki, Dale & Conner K, Alex T, Elway & Alan S, Kevin K, Doug, Michelle, & Dallas L, Josh A, Dylan & Ethan V, & Me
Start time: hit trail at 7:18am arrived back at end by 5:30pm.
Start at Vista Ridge Trail Head off of FR 1650, head up to Timberline Trail #600, cut over to Cairn Basin, then down to the Pacific Crest Trail. follow the PCT north to Lolo Pass Rd (10miles & Lunch). Back on the PCT heading north. Turn onto the Huckleberry Trail down to Lost Lake. Take the Old Growth Trail through camp, cut down to the Lakeshore trail at the Store, and then head around the lake to the end @ the store. = 20miles
Summary
Well we got out later than I had anticipated, but we made up for it, thats for sure. It took us half the time I had figured to get up the steepest part of this hike, vista ridge, this group definitely impressed me. There were some pretty steep parts, but for the most part, it wasnt extremely horrible for a 7% grade. Thankfully, it was short and the grade kept us warm through the first part of the morning that had a bit of a chill in the air.
Most of our trip up the Vista Ridge was through a burn out, its incredible to see how all the trees have survived, and new growth emerge. We arrived on the Timberline #600 by 9am. We headed along the beautiful Timberline Trail towards Cairn basin. It was neat to see this section of the trail, as I had not before. Gorgeous views and wildflowers, another creek to cross before the basin, not bad at all.
![]() |
| Vista Ridge burn out. |
![]() |
| Mt Flowers |
![]() |
| Shelter at Cairn Basin |
On the way down from Cairn, just before the ponds we ran into an angry hive of bee's (could've been hornets or wasps). I got bit in the ankle, and a few others got bit. Mostly adults, and no allergies. Thank goodness.
Back down for some more views and unfortunately more bees, they were extremely aggressive, literally chasing us. By the time we got down to the PCT almost everyone had been stung/bit at one time or another. Thank goodness for some Benedryl, and a tough crew.
The views made up for the bees. The kids really enjoyed the views of Lost Lake, and reflected on some of our previous hikes, as we saw them from different views. When all was done, this was the part they said they enjoyed the most. Seeing lost lake from a distance and then arriving there.
![]() |
| View of Lost Lake from the Timberline Trail |
We made it to lunch at about 12pm. Where our encouraging moms brought us sub sandwiches, fruit and brownies. This is the pampered life of a hiker. :o)
Back on the trail by 1pm, we had a beautiful, gradual hike up the PCT. Some more creeks, lots of forested views, and cool temps.
We jumped off the PCT onto the Huckleberry Trail #617 about 3pm. It was a gradual decline for awhile then it steepened up for about a mile, with a couple of switch backs. You definitely see how this trail got its name with lots of Huckleberry's along the way. Unfortunately what were left were not ripe yet.
When we got to the south end of Lost Lake, we discussed different ways of completing our 20mile hike. In the end we decided to head into the campground via the Old Growth Trail, then hop on down to the lake shore trail around the lake to finish.
The Old Growth Trail had some amazing trees, a wood boardwalk, and lots of Devils club. When we completed this 1 mile leg of the trail, it was apparent that over half of the crew had reached there max on hiking. Parents and boys alike were starting to struggle. But we pushed on, with the water of the lake tempting us to dive in.
We finished strong, and exhausted, and with some seriously sore feet. At the end of the trail was our parents with Congratulations Signs, and a wonderful BBQ! Which was very needed. The boys charged up, and even though they were sore, their spirits were still high! They were happy they were done. I think in the end, this merit badge created some strong and excited hikers, and hopefully didnt run them off, for good. I am hoping that maybe backpacking with shorter trips is more their style.
I know we created some safe hikers, and some adventurist, especially in some of the parents who didnt think they could. I'm very proud of all of them, and cant wait to hit the trail with them again.









Comments
Post a Comment