Herman Creek Quick Trip July 12th, 2015
Herman Creek Quick Trip
Details
Distance: 12miles
Elevation Gain: 2000ft
Location: Columbia River Gorge
Attendance: Just lil ole Me.
Start time: hit trail at 7:45am arrived back at 12:00pm.
Here is a quick trip up Herman Creek Out/back, breaking in some new hiking boots. Thought I would give Ahnu's a try as my feet are going through the change of "old age" according to the peeps at REI. Lol. Funny, my mind doesnt think I'm getting old.
I started at the Herman Creek trail head at about 745am, in hopes to catch up with my son and his boy scout troop before breakfast. I started later than I wanted, but I only had a day pack, so I didnt think this was going to be a problem.
On this beautiful hike I ran into someone wonderful friends that I have not seen in quite sometime, and it turned out that Zee and her husband were camping the night before in the same camp as my son!! What are the chances of that!
The weather was absolutely perfect as I took off on a cool morning up a gradual climb. I arrived at Casey Camp (4miles, 1500ft EG) at about 9am and the Boys were no where to be found. I was suprised as my friends said they camped with them about a mile and a half up from where we met on the trail. and I had only gone about 3/4 of mile, so I continued my hike up the trail for about another two miles. I ran into some campers there and asked if they had seen a group of boy scouts. Nope. But they had heard they were in the area, but hadnt physically seen them. Though the couple said they arrived at their camp at night fall, so they werent surprised they hadnt seen them yet.
Looking over the map I was surprised they had gone this far up from their original plan, and passed by some wonderful water locations. I didnt think the boys would hike an additional 3miles to the next campground, so I went up a little bit further up the trail and decided to turn around, thinking I might have passed them on a side trail that was only about 1/2 mile from their original camp. It was the original backup plan to camp there.
I went back to Casey Camp, and thought I would talk to the campers that were there and see if they had seen the boys, but they had left camp, and were no longer there. I poked around the area for another 10 to 15mins, and decided the boys must have already headed back down the trail, and if they hadnt then I would meet them at the Trail Head.Continuing down the trail I had asked a couple of hikers coming up, if they had seen them. Nope. Thinking this was odd, as there were not alot of hikers on the trail that day. I could only come up with the conclusion that they were still behind me somewhere. So I slowed down to a mosey speed, and stopped and took pictures, and had snacks, thinking they might catch up with me.
Well, I made it back to the trail head, no boys. There cars were still there, so I knew they were up the gorge somewhere. I was just going to wait it out. 15mins later they came running off the trail with excitement. Turns out they were only about another 1/2 mile to a 1/4 mile up the trail from where I turned around. Why they camped there, well... that is a whole another story. Lol.
The Boy's Trip:
DetailsDistance: 15 miles
Elevation Gain:
Location: Columbia River Gorge
Attendance: Boy Scout Hike - Elway, Sage, Aaron W., Dallas L, Alex T, Mitch T & Greg W
Start time: hit trail about 4pm arrive back at trail head two days later around 12noon. Two nights camping: 1st night at Deadwood Camp, 2nd night at Casey Camp.
coming soon.



Comments
Post a Comment