Backpacking Indian Heaven

Backpacking Indian Heaven 

Attendance: Kris M, Dallas L, Sage M, Ethan V, Dylan V
Dates: Sept 25th - 27th, 2015
15+ miles.


Another amazing backpacking weekend in the books. This was one of the best trips even though it was filled with a lot of adventure. We started our trip getting lost trying to find the trailhead. But instead we got to eat our dinner at a local diner. Lol. Thankfully our first campsite was only a mile in, as we found eventually found the trailhead in the dark and fog.

I'm attempting this trip sick with a head cold & chest cold, and recently recovered from a big back injury, but I'm determined to go. In the process I blew out both knees, but we saw so many beautiful sights, fall color, many lakes, and so many scenery changes. Plus making new friends. :)

We had rain on Friday night & froze on Saturday night. We got lost. We found our way. We had many laughs & great conversation. But I also got to see three boys grow in their skills of leadership, physical fitness, and their appreciation of nature. I watched them be tested & shine. That is truly one of the best gifts, one of which I feel honored to have witnessed. And certainly an opportunity I would not have wanted to miss, no matter how sick.

I have never felt so weak & puny on a hike before, with many times that I just wanted to quit. But the slow pace allowed me to really enjoy the sights, to take lots of pictures and spend more time with my buddy Dylan VanDetta. This is something you just can't experience on Tv.

So you probably think I'm crazy for going out backpacking while sick. And maybe to you I am. But while I lay here with a fever, feeling puny. I don't regret it. Because life is full of choices. And I chose to live. And I mean really live.

I could've stayed home emptying a kleenex box, watching stupid TV shows, feeling sorry for myself. Or I could've helped two boys finish their Merit Badge & witness their growth as humans, while getting to see mother nature's glory, while hanging with one of my favorite adventurers. I chose the adventure! And I would choose it again. Life's all about choices.

Comments

Popular Posts