Best Snowshoeing Trip EVER!

BSA Snowshoeing Trip 2016

January 23rd, 2016

Barlow Pass trail from Hwy 35 out to Twin Lakes via the PCT
Miles: 6miles 
EG 290ft
Attendance: The King boys, Dylan, Ethan, Sage, Alex, Kayden, Jeremy, John, Aaron and Spencer

The snow was incredible this year, completely making up for last year. Wow. So before I get into the hike, I have to tell you a lil story about picking this hike. A bunch of the older boys decided they wanted a high adventure snow shoe trip this year. So I handed a snow shoe book of trails of the area. Let me tell you, these crazy kids picked some seriously hard hikes, of which I had to shut down because of avalanche dangers, high altitude sickness and time restraints. I was throughly shocked what they picked. They picked hikes like Hogsback: 6 miles In, 4k ft EG putting them over 10,000ft and Crater Rock: 8 miles with another 4,000ft EG One way. We have no climbing gear, just snow shoes and winter clothing. Obviously this is way harder than i would've ever been interested in, but at the same time I had to laugh at their choices. Because I really dont think they could've done them. But I would've paid good money to see them try. Just not while I am in charge. 

Ok, so now that I have talked them into a less intense hike, they went with a little bit of a moan and groan but went. The snow was deep and there were rolling hills the whole entire time both directions because of all the snow drifts. Even with the shoes they were sinking to ankle deep. It was the perfect snow , exactly what you would wish for, but nothing like these boys have experienced in the past. Needless to say all the snowshoers got their butt's kicked. They were dying out there from exhaustion, completely unprepared for the best type of best conditions. They gained a whole new respect for snow shoeing and were very grateful they did not go on the other hikes they had picked. 

Ultimately we had a blast, we showed up at Winter Lodge exhausted and most of us took naps before proceeding with the rest of our weekend. As I said, BEST SNOWSHOE trip EVER!
Me and my buddy

dead scouts... taking a break. We had a lot of these. Lol.

The snow is relentless. I love it.

Upper Twin Lake frozen over and covered with snow. Gorgeous

Lunch Time

We are done! and we are exhausted

Wet, warm and happy!

Yeah! We totally rocked that trip!

Comments

Popular Posts