Sneak Away Hike

Gorge Hike


May 3rd, 2017
Horsetail Falls Loop
Columbia River Gorge
Distance: just shy of 3 miles
EG: 676 ft 

I got a chance to sneak away, well I took the chance to sneak away, skipped school and took advantage of some much needed sunshine and hit the trail. I needed it as much as I thought I would. I was stressed out and having a rough time and missed my exit by 10 miles after enjoying a beautiful drive, so I backtracked and hit the trail at Horsetail falls and did a loop down past Oneonta up towards triple falls and back down to Horse Tail. I really had no specific place I was going, I just needed to hit the trail. The gorge is one of my favorite views, not necessarily my favorite hikes but the drive from Troutdale to Hood River is truly my favorite drive.

For me, this is hike was about getting away, spending some time getting grounded in nature and enjoying what I truly love. The Trail. As I mentioned I'm not a huge fan of hiking the gorge anymore due to the heavy use it receives by people who are not really hikers and don't understand the etiquette of trail hiking. I prefer to hike in nature, not city trails and to me, the Gorge has simply become city trails. I don't blame them but for me, it's just not fun anymore. That being said I will take the time to enjoy the Gorge and its hikes early in the season and during the weekdays when most everyone else is working. So here I am.



Comments

Popular Posts