Fall Hammock Trials

Fall Hammock Trials

September 18th, 2016
Rating of the ENO Embers 2 Underquilt
Purchased at REI, On sale and with my Dividend.


 For those of you who don't remember, last fall I went out backpacking and though I came prepared it got colder than was predicted and we all froze, even with heated water bottles, tarps, 25 rated sleeping bags, and extra blankets. I even tried tying a blanket under the hammock.

This weekend I was out with our Boy Scout troop, and decided to give my new underquilt a whirl on my hammock. I purchased an ENO Embers 2 underquilt and have been anxious to see how well it works. Now, let me first say that the temps did not get as cold as predicted (it is hard to predict the temps around these parts), and it was probably upper 30's at night.

I not only decided to try the underquilt but also try this without a sleeping pad. and used a tarp to block wind/rain.

The first night was quite a shocker, when I set it up to find that my carabiners were not in the bag where they were supposed to be. (My dear daughter borrowed my hammock while I was out of town, without my permission.). So time to break out the handy scout knots. After taking a significant time getting it set up, I had to take it down to hook up the underquilt, this would've been so much easier with my carabiners. Sigh. But eventually i got it set up and all was good.

So, my first night was amazing. I was very comfortable, i loved the way the hammock sleeps without the pad, way more comfortable. Though I could side sleep if i chose, i actually find it comfortable to sleep on my back, and this comes from a belly sleeper. I took a chance and had one of the flaps flipped over on the tarp, as I really love to see the sky while I fall asleep. I kept the tarp with in hands reach if I should wake up to rain. I slept amazing, which never happens for me the first night outside of my home.

The second night , the weather didnt look as promising so I staked the sides of the tarp down, and thank goodness I did, as it rained that night. Also, the straps around the tree had slipped down, and I was a lot closer to the ground. Something was sitting right with the angle of the hammock, but the knots had held, and didnt budge at all, so it was a mystery to me. I didnt sleep as well, and woke up many times. I slept on my back most of the night, but switched to side sleeping after I awoke at 5am to a pack of Coyotes that I am assuming must have scored a kill, as they were making a lot of noise. After I switched to my side, I slept all the way thru to wake up call.

Overall, my rating of the ENO Embers 2 Under Quilt - I LOVE IT! I look forward to taking it out again real soon.

Comments

Popular Posts