Kayaking the Gorge
Kayaking the Gorge
![]() |
| with Kandace |
During these challenging times of COVID19 about the only outdoor activities that have been allowed is Kayaking. So we decided to go check out some new areas. We were not disappointed.
We started out morning kayaking Rock Creek Cove in Carson, Washington. It was a quick beautiful 2 mile paddle that explored some little coves and let us go out to the edge of the Columbia River. We only saw one other group of people. It took us approximately an hour. It was quiet and perfect.
We grabbed some snacks and then headed down to Drano Lake. The weather was much different with some white caps and strong winds. We decided to give it a try and left the Boat dock and headed over to a small cove where there were some Indian fishing docks. We had to work to get there but it wasn't anything to crazy. Just a nice workout. It was the perfect amount of distance before needing a break for some beginner kayakers. Our little cove took us to the White Salmon Fish Hatchery. It was absolutely beautiful. We paddled back to the falls and then tooled around through some of the tall grass. Kandace ran out of trail and had to pick up her kayak and walk it over a small spit of land. She quickly found the water to be rather cold.
After playing around in the cove for a while we decided it was probably time to head back to the boat ramp. We were quickly surprised to find that the wind had kicked up a lot and the water was splashing over the boat dock with some serious winds. Well, the only way back was through it. So I gave Kandace a quick tutorial on paddling and we headed back. It was definitely some work getting back and not getting rolled. We were doing great, and then the wind caught my hat and it went flying. I reached up and grabbed it and in the quick second I did, I was pitched sideways and started to roll. I refused to go in (I knew it was freezing and I wasn't going to have it), so dug my paddles in and fought to bring myself straight again. It was crazy and fun all at the same time. We made it into the boat dock without any more incidents and had a good laugh about our adventure. We paddled about 3.6 miles at Drano.
After cleaning our crafts we headed over to Skamania Lodge had some lunch, wine and enjoyed a beautiful view. It was my first time there and it was a beautiful treat.


Comments
Post a Comment