Backpacking Clackamas River
Backpacking Clackamas River
Distance: 15 miles – Out/Back
Elevation Gain: 2877 EG
Location: Mt Hood National Forest
Drive Time From Gresham: 50 minutes
Trail Head: Clackamas River (Indian Henry) Trailhead
Driving Directions: https://goo.gl/maps/DywHHSKNMAFMNpEK9
Water Sources: Clackamas River and tributaries.
Map: See attached
Weather: Friday 77/58; Sat 77/52; Sun 84
Attendance:
Youth - Cheyenne, Mielie, Audrey, Mitchell, Devlan. Adults - Kris and Sam
I know I said I wasn't going to hike this trail again, but..... due to COVID and the new rules of scouting we can't carpool. This means our parents have to drive their kids to the trailhead, go back home and come back on Sunday. That's a lot of driving for many of our families, so that means we have to keep the trailhead within an hour's drive from Gresham. So... that puts us close to home. Full of people, and lots of noise on a trail full of loose rocks. Yeah, I know. whining about an opportunity to go backpacking.
I was in need of a new pack, so I started this season with the Osprey Renn 65, which weighs in at 3.85lbs. Overall, the pack has everything that I need from a pack except a squeak. I heard it out on a 2mile pre hike I did. But I can't figure out where it's coming from. I have a suspicion its on the adjustment bar, but I will have to do some homework. Sadly my pack weighed in at 34lbs for this trip. Time to do some fine-tuning before our next trip next weekend. Goal is to get my back down to 28lb to 30lbs with food and water.
Day One: Friday everything went smoothly. Everyone arrived at the school on time, we left the school on time, we arrived at the trailhead on time, and we hit the trail on time. I could sure get used to this! The trail has seen a storm since the last time I was here, lots of trees down. The trail angels are doing a great job getting it cleaned back up, it just looks different. We arrived at the Narrows and were able to get our camp spot. Though the camp was a mess with down branches stacked up in it and toilet paper everywhere. :(
Mielie had a rough evening, went to bed early and was not wanting to be there. Things were just not going well for her. The kids were going a bit fast and she struggled to keep up. I talked to them about their speed and explained that Backpacking is not like hiking, we all get to do a speed that's comfortable for us. (by the end they will all be a lot stronger and will find it gets easier).
I had my gumbo dehydrated with rice for dinner. It was good, but the andouille didn't rehydrate very well. I would recommend soaking it when I get to the trailhead and heating it up when I get to camp. Or maybe just soaking for about 20mins before cooking. Having the Crystal Hot sauce was a huge plus.
Day Two: As usual I didn't sleep well the first night, got up early at around 645am to find that Audrey was already up and packing up her tent. She is such a cutie. About 8am we were surprised to find that Jim Denman was joining us for a day hike. We hit the trail around 930am, Mielie's mood was not much improved. We talked about it a bit, which seemed to help a bit, but not much.
Upon arrival at Pup Creek Falls we all ditched our packs at the base just before the climb in. I stayed back with the packs since I have seen the falls numerous times. Sam and Jim lead the crew in. They weren't long at all, and all came back with smiles on their faces, especially Mielie. Mielie's mood was much improved. Jim left us and went back to the car and we hiked 3.5 miles down Clackamas River Trail heading the opposite way we came. The last 2 miles of our hike was very challenging for the kids, many running out of fuel and very tired. We stopped for lunch and a 30min break and then back on the trail we headed all the way back towards the Narrows. The trail was very busy, which made putting masks on very irritating. I was feeling stressed about getting a campsite while a few other backpackers were on the trail. We were able to get the campsite we were aiming for just before the hill to the Narrows at 4pm. As soon as we took our packs two ladies were waiting to see if we were going to take it. Yikes.
The kids were exhausted. It's a trail of rolling hills which means all of it feels uphill. The trail was rocky, sloped, and narrow, which meant we felt like we were walking sideways. It didn't take long to remember why I didn't like this trail. Thankfully our new campsite was a lot quieter because of the rapids just outside of camp. They drowned out all of the cars driving by. It's also set off the trail a bit, so people aren't walking into camp. The kids at their dinner by 530pm and many of them were in their beds by 8pm.
For lunch, I tried a Suddenly Salad with Chipotle Ranch that was very adapted. I dumped out the noodle mix and added GF Rotini with dehydrated veggies. I kept the seasoning added milk powder, mayo and chicken. It was delicious, except I didn't drain out enough water so it was saucy, but it was good. For dinner I had Cousin's pasta which I figured out how to adapt for the trail, it was amazing! By far the best meal I have made on the trail.
Day Three: I woke up early again, this time I had the place to myself. I was able to enjoy a full cup of coffee before anyone got up. Mitchell (aka Sir talks a lot) was a character upon waking and parked his chair right in front of me and started talking. I gave him a look and he quieted down immediately. Went and got a book and a blanket and we both enjoyed our morning peacefully. I woke the girls up at 8am as requested. Everyone enjoyed a slow morning. They were all sore and ready to get off the trail. We figured an 11am start time would get us back to the trailhead with 30mins to spare. So we started packing up at 10am. Almost everyone was ready to go by 1030am, even after a camp sweep. We departed at 1040am and arrived at the trailhead by Noon. Everyone did exceptionally well, their packs felt lighter, they felt stronger and everyone was fueled up. Overall, a huge success.
For breakfast, I tried a new meal of grape nuts cereal. I was nervous because grape nuts contain wheat, but I did ok. I think next time I would leave the chocolate out and just add peanut butter.
On a side note: I found two more campsites this morning just off the river. You would have to travel through our camp, halfway down to the river is a trail to the right. There was a campsite on the sand and another up in the trees. These would be good options in case needed. I wish we had known about them before we arrived I would've suggested them to the two ladies looking for a site. I know for next time.
On the way home, we stopped at the Eagle Creek Saloon and had burgers. Cheyenne (aka 5 Cheeseburgers) ate a 2/3lb burger and most of her fries. WOW!! This kid is living up to her name.


Comments
Post a Comment