Pack Discussion

 Backpack Discussion

I am a huge fan of Osprey packs. I like their features and have been a big fan for years. So all I have ever owned have been Osprey. I had the pleasure of touring their headquarters last year when I accidentally ran across them in Colorado on a road trip. Great people, great mission, great packs. 

But this discussion is about my current situation finding a new pack. I upgraded my sleeping bag a few years ago and added an underquilt for my hammock. Now everything doesn't fit in my Talon 44L anymore. Both of these items are necessary since starting menopause I started freezing at night, so it was time to upgrade. I purchased the Osprey Ariel Pro 65 a few years ago when I went out on a 5 day trek and I wasn't really a fan. I didn't like that I lost a bottom zipper to access my gear upon arrival and it had no side pockets. Weight is a big deal for me and this pack came in at 3.85lbs which was the deciding factor in purchase for a 65L. Upon talking to some Osprey reps at PCT days that stated that I should've purchased the Ariel 65, it would have been the natural upgrade. So I decided the next time I purchased a pack it would be the Ariel 65 which weighs in a little heavy at 4.9lbs. But then Osprey came out with the universal Technical pack called the Renn weighing in at 3.44lbs and with a price tag of $165. This was an amazing price I sure didn't want to pass up. Especially since we were planning a last-minute backpacking season this year in Scouting due to the COVID19 pandemic.

Osprey Renn 65L

Overall, I have to say this is a good pack. I like the universal fitting, which I didn't think I would. Unfortunately, it has an annoying squeak when I hike, and I have yet to figure out where it is at. It does have all of the necessary options that I need and amazingly enough, barely fits everything that I fit in my 44L. It looks like I have some fine-tuning to do to get this pack to work. But I am confident it will be my new love.


Comments

Popular Posts